Thursday, August 18, 2011

What a beautiful night it was for the food festival, and Eddie Money was great! One thing that was funny, though - he said he grew up in Greene County, in a town called Phoenicia! LOL! If it was Phoenicia, that doesn't speak well of my alma mater's teaching of local geography. (But if we blame elementary school rather than junior or senior high, at least it wasn't the one I attended.) If it was Greene County...not my district.

I actually do remember learning geography in school, but nothing local; it was only the capital cities of other countries. I don't remember what grade that was, but I do remember the teacher was male. It was a memorization exercise in social studies, and he used one of those wonderful visualization tricks for remembering things: one example, he said picture a turkey with an anchor around its neck, and so I still remember Ankara, Turkey.

Yikes. 

Added: Really good column this week! 

And: I've written here that the container tomatoes are huge, but a picture is worth a thousand words in this case.


No comments: