Friday, August 19, 2011

Bob took a trip to visit his folks, so I had planned a nice leisurely day in Samsonville. I thought I would work on my Fall syllabi, with maybe a break to swim. The weather was just like yesterday's, so I wasn't surprised when I heard thunder. No biggie. Yesterday we had a downpour (which was handy since I didn't have to water the garden), and then the sun came out again.

Just as the storm was starting -- luckily I had gotten the animals in, rolled up the awning and unplugged the filter -- the phone range. I was making my lunch on the stove, and needed a pot lid. We have the lids stored on a pot rack, and above that is a high shelf with decorative stuff hanging from it. One item is an antique enamel dipper. So as I scrambled to cover the pot and hold the phone, I knocked the dipper with the lid, it fell, and hit me in the forehead. Hurt like h-ll. After a few minutes, I realized I was bleeding. Great. An inch-long gash on my forehead, and since I bruise easily, it will undoubtedly turn black and blue.

Then the hail started coming. I just had to get pictures. I was so preoccupied with the hail that I didn't notice the yard was turning into a lake! The stream jumped its banks -- and with it, took out the driveway. Luckily, we have not (yet?) lost our power.




No comments: