Friday, April 27, 2012

I intended to write something to go along with the picture I posted here yesterday, but didn't find the time. The university is working on the central fountain. This is going to take a long time, and as I recall, the fountain wasn't turned on since last year -- or at least there was no fountain day, I think because of the kegs 'n' eggs fiasco although the pending construction has also played a role. This spring they have finally started the work. Recently they put up sheetrock over the windows facing the fountain area at the lecture center level -- about 6 feet into the hallway. The photo I took shows doors that are still accessible (although there is a sign saying "no exit"), but the other doors where they have finished sheetrocking have been covered over. Isn't this a fire hazard? The LC level looks like a dungeon now, almost like the tunnels but with a high ceiling, very strange and cavernous.

Yesterday morning I received an email from the woman who runs the town shelter where we adopted Rosie. Two woman have been in touch with her. They found Rosie's old listing on petfinder somehow, even though it has been taken down on the shelter's end. One woman claims to be the owner, the other is the alleged owner's neighbor. They said the dog was lost in March, and had an ad in the paper starting March 15 for about three weeks. They also had other information about her, some of which was conflicting.

When told Rosie was found February 11, advertised in the same paper they used for whatever is legally required (I think a few days) and then adopted by me on February 27, they changed their story and said she was lost in February. Dogs without tags only have to be kept for five days; dogs with tags have to be kept for ten, so the animal control officer has no obligation to do anything for these women. She said the owner was nasty, but the neighbor was reasonable, so when asked if she would contact me and let me know there was a $1,000 reward and that all other expenses would be paid (adoption fee etc.), she agreed.

A personal moral dilemma presented itself -- maybe something I will bring up in toleration in the future? Bob and I discussed it, and I also hashed it over with the animal control officer and her partner. There was never any question that we would entertain surrendering her, whether she is this woman's lost dog or not, and the woman from the shelter agrees. In fact, her partner said even if I was willing, they are not sure they would decide to give the dog back to her, since she is not a responsible owner and they believe Rosie is in a much better place now.

 The story isn't compelling. Who would wait over a month before putting an ad in the paper, searching petfinder or contacting shelters? I would go to the ends of the Earth to find her if she was lost -- but such a thing would never happen. We even go out and watch her when she is in a fenced yard! She is so tiny, could have been a coyote's prey if left all alone in the woods. I have had nine pets in my adult life -- all are either still with me, or have died of natural causes / old age, never from being lost, neglected or hit by a car. I told the woman from the shelter to tell the "owner" to donate the reward to an animal welfare organization, if she wants to atone and do something good for animals.

Added: there are four things about Rosie that I would think someone would mention if they knew her. They didn't.

No comments: