Friday, December 16, 2011

My last day on campus for the fall semester was Wednesday. I don't have any classes that day, just several meetings and a luncheon. I purge my office. One detail I addressed was chatting with the woman who handles my grant. I was telling her about my research. I told her one thing I'm learning from the classroom observations is that it would be relatively easy to design a fair teacher assessment that didn't rely on standardized tests. She remarked, "that should be your next grant proposal." Wow! What an exciting idea. I believe I could do it -- and the model would be good for parents, good for administrators, good for teachers, good for taxpayers -- and most importantly, good for students. Of course, people would need to embrace change rather than resist it.

No comments: