Thursday, December 08, 2011

Eggplant is my favorite food. Thinking back,  I realized this past week I had:
  • eggplant napolean at The Point in Albany for dinner on Wednesday of last week (it was divine), 
  • eggplant napolean from the Outtakes store on campus on Thursday for lunch (it was acceptable, even tasty. I suspect slabs were packaged up the day after it didn't sell out at the Patroon Room lunch buffet -- sort of reminds me of elementary school when an apple was the snack and kids would take maybe one bite, then go up to throw out the tray. A lunch aide was always there, grabbing the trays full of trash. Next day, 1/2 apples were the snacks. Hmmm),
  • eggplant parmesan from Scarnato's in Castleton on Friday (it was to die for, my favorite, best anywhere, no contest, A+++, rivals my own or even Ma's),
  • frozen Celentano eggplant for dinner on Saturday (it was not that good),
  • eggplant and white bean soup for brunch at the Chatham House on Sunday (it was heavenly),
  • eggplant parmesan at Teagan's in Rensselaer on Tuesday for dinner (it was serviceable).
What? A week with only six days of eggplant? How can that be?


Something I don't do as much as I'd like is cook time-intensive, more complicated dishes. Some of my favorite things to make involve pie crust (with apple pie topping the list!). Today I decided to make a quiche. It's been ages since I made one. My recipe: pie crust (1 1/4 c. flour, 1/4 t salt, 1/3 cup butter, 4 T water), roll out into one crust, put in pan, line with foil and bake 450 degrees for 8 minutes, remove foil and bake 5 more minutes. Filling (4 eggs, 1 1/2 c milk, 1/4 t salt, 1/4 t nutmeg, 1/8 t pepper, 1 t minced garlic, 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese, 2 c chopped spinach). Bake 325 degrees for one hour. 


Today is another day without eggplant. (Already know I'm having it tomorrow though.)

No comments: