Tuesday, August 20, 2002

As an "Independent," I have started to get bombarded with mailings from candidates. The governor's race in particular is sending me a lot of junk. I like the idea of third parties, and I dislike third party endorsements of one of the major two party candidates; in other words, I believe this is hijacking the idea of a third party, and that they should run their own person. The mail carrier might just as well throw the circulars directly into my paper recycling bin, and save me the trouble of sorting.

Tuesday Too #26

1.) Here's something to RANT about: "Nigerian woman loses battle..."

In the past, I had more clear views on such subjects...it was all academic. Kind of like debating whether standardized testing is a good or bad way to assess student achievement. Interesting, important, but also dry, distant stuff. Now, since 9/11, things are different. Now I can't even articulate how I feel. How about "sad?"

2.) After reading the above article, most questions seem trivial; however, isn't something like this beyond toleration/acceptance of "other cultures ways of doing things?"

I think so.

3.) Explain your yes position on question # 2, and tell us what should/can we as individuals, or nations do about it? If you answered no to question # 2, tell us why we should should close our eyes to injustice in other nations.

See my answer to #1. What can I do about it? Try to live my life the best way I can, and be thankful, but realize how tiny it is, in the scheme of things - I mean, over time and space. And pray!

No comments: