Friday, August 09, 2002

Yea! Finally...Here's the Tuesday + More Than Two

1.) Is honesty always the best policy? Relate a plausible scenario where this might not be the case.

Yes, honesty is the best policy, always, so I have no other scenario. But it is important to keep in mind that "honesty" is not the same thing as "tactlessness." So, for example, when my trying alcoholic ex-friend said to me, "are you avoiding me?" My answer could not be, "yes," which perhaps was the truth, but it was also unkind. My response was honest, however: "I can't deal with you when you are drinking." In some ways, that is harder than fibbing, or tactlessness. Also, not volunteering information isn't the same thing as being dishonest.

2.) Are you someone of who can't say no? If you're not, tell those of us who are, how to overcome the yes syndrome.

I've learned the importance of saying "no." It is difficult, but the alternative is worse. Some people still will push it, even when the answer is "no," and they will coax and prod. They are manipulative, and they try get a yes instead, or at the very least, a maybe. But in my experience, saying "yes," or "maybe," when the answer should be "no" generally translates into doing something and feeling resentment that builds over time, or when the time rolls around to keep your commitment, blowing it off and avoiding doing it. This disappoints the other person, and leads to hard feelings. So it is really better for everyone to just say a firm "no," mean it, and make no excuses or apologies. Whether the answer is "yes" or "no," keep your word happily, and this approach will lead to lots of respect. Seriously, it gets easier over time, so practice!

3.) What's your remedy for sleepless nights?

It depends what ails me. I always take a long time to fall asleep, and usually I toss and turn for a while. If it is a headache, I take Tylenol (actually I buy the generic). If it is joint or muscle pain, Motrin (again, the generic version). If it is my stomach, I try Brioschi (? not the generic, but I don't know how it is spelled). If there is something on my mind, I get up and read, write, do work, or surf on the computer. I try to get tired. I think, and attempt to work out the problem that is bothering me until exhaustion takes over.

No comments: