Saturday, August 03, 2002

A while ago I posted on BlogSisters about my feelings on the past, and I followed up here with something lighthearted. I enjoy researching family history; sometimes I hear from people all over the country who have encountered my name in their own searching and wish to make a connection. Most recently someone related to my grandmother Mimmie's family contacted me, and since I have spent since 1996 writing a book about Mimmie, this was especially thrilling.

Also, I am interested in U.S. history in general, and I subscribe to (and love) American Heritage magazine. In the current issue, a letter to the editor about an article from the October 2001 issue on the Mountain Meadows Massacre, and the author's response, sparked me to hunt through my magazine stack (one more time I was glad to be a packrat, and yes, I do have to "hunt," rather than "look") and read the story in question.

It is kind of surprising that I didn't read the story at the time. Also back in October a person researching genealogy - this time on my grandfather's family - got in touch with me. Recently they emailed me again and I had to go through my records to figure out who they were! This would be no big deal except that I am blessed with a really great memory. But, I guess after 9/11 things were blurry for quite some time. (No, it wasn't because of turning 40!)

Anyway, back to September 1857. The American Heritage story has been haunting me for days. Then, yesterday I discovered that the article has also been posted on the Web here.

No comments: