Monday, August 30, 2010

Back from my visit to Cortland (what fun!) and Samsonville (where I swam yesterday!), here is my promised post, in "honor" of Travers weekend (seems I was wrong about the weather).

From 2003-2008, more than 3,000 horses died at race tracks in the United States, with 637 of those deaths happening in New York. Those statistics don't include what happens to horses that have retired, or the ones that are not "winners;" some are sent to slaughter. This doesn't make the news, unless the horse is well-known.

The fleabitten grey is Cinderella, a Thoroughbred who once raced, rescued by my mother from a life of neglect. The Morgan is April, who has enjoyed the loving care of my mother since she was a foal.

This post is really to honor them, and all horses, who deserve better than what a "career" in racing offers.

No comments: