Tuesday, July 02, 2002

Now begins a few weeks of "I'm too busy." There are many essays to grade for class. This will probably take me through tomorrow, although this heat means I must fit in watering the plants somewhere! And, if I don't procrastinate too much more, I might be able to work on creating an excerpt of my book proposal, something I really want, and need, to do. We leave tomorrow evening or early Thursday for the other house, where we will be spending several days - so some preparation time for that has to be planned, also. Many activities will be taking place during this holiday: a BBQ, a visit from my in-laws, and (very likely) haying, but it will be nice if I can still get some work done from there. July updates to the Gully Brook Press website will have to wait until next week, I guess (& I can only hope to have time then).

Not sure when I'll get to posting in the ejournal, though, and I don't have the software on my other PC to share these images in honor of Independence Day, so I thought I'd do it today, when I am here answering the Tuesday Too (see below). The first and third were taken in 1997, on a wonderful birthday visit to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty with my sister, my father and Bob (we are all lifelong New Yorkers - or in my father's case, just about - and none of us had ever gone either place; you can see a few more snapshots of that day at the Gully Brook Press virtual museum for May, "Immigrant Roots"), the second is another peek at my pinback button collection.








Here's the Tuesday Too # 19

1.) What do you find most troubling about your way of life? If your life is carefree please give me a hint, which has nothing to do with winning the lottery.

Carefree - I love and disdain the sound of words and now there's a beautiful word. I try to live according to my beliefs, but not having made the commitment to be a vegetarian is something with which I struggle.

2.) What is your prescription (non psychotropic), or outlet for dealing with stress and anxiety?

I can lose myself in reading or writing. I do like wine, and in moderation it works. The treadmill is a help, as are eating out, or elaborate, creative cooking. Talking to Bob or another family member or friend, fussing over the animals, going to the weekend house to absorb the natural beauty, and prayer, are several more items in the toolbox. Sometimes a simple strategy like playing music I love as a background, and doing a mindless task like washing the dishes, or sorting paper for recycling, while thinking remedies things. I grapple with finding adequate channels for my energy, and recently I have been reading the Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook. Unfortunately, I haven't adopted the principles yet, but my plan is to at least try to add skilled relaxation as a coping skill. But my all-time favorite is gardening, and it will probably remain that way.

3.) What's the real reason you get up every morning?

Because I am well-rested (& I have to pee :-).

No comments: