Monday, July 15, 2002

Another week begins; the class is half over. I didn't get to make the July updates to the Gully Brook Press website last week, and since there is even more evaluation to be done for class at the moment, it is going to be hard to fit it in this week, too, but I plan to try. I do have some theme ideas brewing, and there are no "days off" in the works, so it may pan out.

We worked on our pool site this weekend. My father showed me how to use a contractor's level, and we determined that there is a ten inch differential in the slope, so this week he will bring his backhoe over and change that. Next weekend, we'll rake the spot, spread the base sand around, and put in the 21 blocks that will support the side rails. Then, a two-week break as we spend a weekend working here, on our summer-long retaining wall project, and go to a nearby bluegrass festival. We are targeting the first weekend in August for actually putting up the pool, and having the water truck come to fill it.

It's good that yardwork is a favorite activity for both of us, and that we don't care about travel-type vacations, or having two houses would be a hassle rather than a pleasure. I worked for most of yesterday on the garden there, staking the tomato plants, watering, weeding, and mulching. It won't be long until the green beans and squash are ready. My legs are a little sore today. I think I will do a little yardwork here, this afternoon. The flowers need watering. I wish we would get some rain; usually August is drought season. This much dryness in July is kind of scary.

No comments: