Monday, May 06, 2002


I prefer to "edit" and republish posts I make on the same day rather than create a new one, but since the last several posts have stopped appearing in edit mode, I have no choice. Anyway, I was just reading an article about distance learning in The Chronicle of Higher Education. It details how many "popular" professors don't mind integrating technology into the classroom, but shun completely online courses.

I am now teaching my sixth online course, and I have no idea if I am "popular," but my class does close quickly, and every semester many students want to get in on overflow. My summer class is closed already and it doesn't start until the end of June. While I am sympathetic to the idea that the lack of face-to-face contact impacts learning in many ways, some of them negative, online delivery also has positive impacts. One obvious advantage is the flexibility in scheduling, catering to both larks and owls. Another is the self-directed nature of the experience. Finally, the discussion is enriched because it empowers timid, formerly silent students to participate. While it is true that not all of the posting is at a high enough level, the majority of students do make a serious effort.

No comments: