Tuesday, May 07, 2002


I was reading some posts in the user-to-user discuss area of blogger (because I paypaled my ten bucks for the micro ad, but it is in "pending rad approval" never-never land, and I am wondering about others' experiences) and noticed "Tuesday Too." So, I thought, why not?

Tuesday Too # 11

1.) Over the last few months I've run across a few blogs (disappearing blogs) that state "I've stopped blogging because..." Why might you consider stopping your online journal? If nothing could stop you, and you're totally committed to blogging Why?

I have been keeping a journal online since March. I have kept a journal of some sort on and off for more than 25 years, since I was in high school. I spend a lot of time on the computer, and I believe journaling is great lubrication for a writer, as well as a helpful release for anyone. At the moment, I have no plans to stop. But sure, it's possible that I might stop - and start again - there are many gaps in my old bound, spiral-bound or typed and saved on 5.5" disk volumes. And in my experience, it would likely be suddenly, not after consideration. If I did stop, these two reasons come to mind:

1. Time. I work from home, and important deadlines take precedence.
2. The public nature of this method has both advantages and drawbacks. Sometimes I wonder about the internal censor.

I try to protect against those reasons by setting a goal of one post per week; generally, I can find the time for that. If I wind up with more entries than that, great (although usually that happens when I am procrastinating on something else, like now! Thanks, Tuesday Too.) And, I believe some level of "censor" is needed, even in the old bound volumes.

2.) You arrive at the gates of heaven, and the gatekeeper says, "there's been a mistake..." What mistake? or Who is mistaken about what?

Now, tell me again how you spell your last name? G-U-I-L... And is that J-E-N-A?

3.) There is a theory in Psychology about silencing the self. Current research looks at whether men and women differ in how much they silence themselves and at what time/stage in a relationship they do so. On Chad's site I once read a post. about how men's blogs differ from women's blogs. Do you think this is true and if so how do they differ?

The college instructor in me is saying, "Good question, but what is the citation for that psychology theory? And to which year(s) does "current" refer?"

Well, anyway - in his survey, Chad was a lot more "scientific" than I have been. I am new to keeping an online journal (for some reason I can't get my keyboard around the word "blog" yet) but from the very little I have seen, I'd guess they differ not just by gender, but by age, geography, occupation, purpose, whether group or solitary, etc....and also they have some striking similarities. Just like the people who write them.

No comments: