Friday, March 16, 2012


Yesterday, I did something I've never done before: made a dish with tofu. I'm not crazy about tofu, except when it is in tiny crumbles in something like a spring roll. But in the interest of health and kindness to animals, I want it to be a part of my diet. So I read up on how to prepare it so it isn't slimy or tasteless (a Mimmie word :-) and whipped up tofu, spinach and mushrooms with peanut sauce. I sliced the tofu, drained it, pressed it in a dish towel, dry fried it while pressing it with a spatula, marinated it in peanut sauce, and sauteed it to really crisp it up, then added it to the cooked spinach and mushrooms. It was delicious! The only change I would make in the future is to use fresh spinach and fresh mushrooms. I violated the usual principle of vegan dishes -- use the freshest ingredients, and instead used frozen and canned, respectively. But I didn't have fresh on hand yesterday.

Added: Sam loved it. Rosie, not so much. It will take her a while to develop the sophisticated palette of my other dogs.

No comments: