Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Late in the afternoon on Monday came the sounds of emergency vehicles and sirens. I knew something bad must have happened, something different than a fire. Shortly afterwards at the TU website I saw that someone had jumped from the Castleton bridge. The latest story is here.

That she was exactly my age freaks me out, but more than that, the whole concept of suicide freaks me out. I haven't written much on the subject here (surprising since I started GBP in 2002), but here is a post that mentions the topic and here is another.

I've known too many people who have committed suicide. I've never really understood it among the young either, but always thought in youth we don't understand that things will look a lot different in two weeks or two months or two years. I wonder what desperation, what heart break would drive someone my age to do it. Such a scary way to choose also, that bridge is so high up over the Hudson. Bob says maybe she was on one of those drugs that lists suicidal thoughts as a side effect?

Added: I should have remembered to link this too, another recent, horrible suicide tragedy.

No comments: