Monday, April 15, 2002

Welcome to Gully Brook Press

The website of freelance writer
Gina
Giuliano



Now here's an interesting one. Today, the Inscriptions newsletter reported that The Author's Guild recommends that writers remove links to Amazon.com from their websites. Apparently, they are concerned about Amazon's aggressive approach to selling used books. I read the brief item and immediately knew it would be the subject of today's journal entry. Then, I finished browsing the newsletter, and discovered the issue is also the topic of Inscription's weekly poll.

So many things jumped into my mind:
A. I have always liked the convenience, prices, and service I get from Amazon.
B. Yes, of course I agree with The Author's Guild; after all, I believe downloading music is wrong.
C. OK, let's de-link, but shouldn't we also be encouraged not to buy anything from Amazon?
D. What about my usual practice of passing along a book I enjoyed to my sister, et al. and vice versa? Are we hurting publishers and authors too?
E. Is it wrong to buy used books from bookstores?
F. Does this mean the box of books I have slated for the Memorial Day weekend yardsale should be returned to the shed for storage?
G. Is it better to "re-use" the printed word or add to our waste stream by throwing old books away? (I already have no more room for another bookcase.)
H. Can something that promotes literacy be bad?
I. Should my students stop selling their books back to the college bookstore? (Note that our on-campus one happens to be a Barnes and Noble).
J. What about libraries? Is it OK for me to borrow or should I buy what I read?

No comments: