Saturday, October 19, 2002

Well - I did all of the things on the 17 page list (I'm only exaggerating a little) that AOL Tech Support recommended - it took the better part of a day - and still I have to delete the file and reselect the cable modem every time I sign on to AOL 8.0 or it freezes. I'm sure the things I did were worth it, in terms of servicing this old machine. But yes, I am reminded why I don't upgrade so soon after release. Naturally, if I contact them again, I will be directed to about 100 more things to try, because I'm sure no one has a clue yet what will fix the problem. Too bad I don't want to pay for the privilege of performing testing for the company; my time is too precious and too valuable. So I'm throwing in the towel at the moment - I have to get back to my real work - and deleting and re-creating that file is no big deal for now.

A quick search on the Internet on the subject turns up (besides my own remarks!) nothing very helpful - a few reviews of the software, and then the usual comments/discussion areas where an assortment of nutjobs trash AOL and anyone who is willing to use it; of course a few reasonable people are sucked in to these "conversations," but aside from a little temporary amusement over the extreme remarks of the nutjobs, I gain nothing valuable. I've always been on the fringe; a long time computer user, not exactly a techie but quite literate, thank you. To me, technology is a tool. I don't care very much for TV, video games, cell phones (or any phone really, although I do have both). I don't care for "IM" for the same reasons I don't like talking on the phone very much. Computer & etc.-wise, I like IBM, I like HP, I like Netscape, I like Corel WordPerfect, I like Adobe PageMill, I like Lotus 1-2-3 and Notes. I like AOL, and I don't care to change my simple email address. I don't like things Microsoft at all, and never have. Of course what with monopoly and all, I have to use the operating system and many applications, or at least convert to .rtf when sharing. Oh, I really can't stand Outlook, which I use for the university. And my disdain extends to "his" wretched book, which I had to read in graduate school.

Anyway, I have to admit that so far the AOL upgrade is very nice. And the good news is, I finished my Virtual Museum for October/November; the subject: Apples. Improvement noted: Uploading the files was very fast!

On a different note, soon I am going to establish a password protected area here in my journal so that I can take notes about my online v. classroom impressions. Regarding the group work assignment, I have been making some interesting observations.

No comments: