Tuesday, October 22, 2002

Tuesday Too

1.) What would you like the world to spend research money on (inner space, outer space, stem cell, you name it research), and why do you give it top priority?

Education, of course. It is my field, after all. And I do believe learning, and everything associated with it, are top priorities. We may never live forever, but we certainly can expand our minds in whatever time we do have.

2.) Where's the beef, Carmine Miranda, or what's bugging you lately?

Although I am miles away, and I know "routine" violence (as if there could be such a thing) never receives as much media attention, the sniper in Washington DC/Maryland/Virginia is bothering me.

3.) Elliott would like to know, do you type without looking at the keyboard; in other words, are you a hunt and peek (in his case that would be hunt and claw), or a "true typist?"

I guess I am a true typist. I am fast enough, and I get better the more I type, although I do a slightly modified version of "real typing." I fare best on a full-size IBM PC keyboard; on other brands I tend to have to "hunt" for del, shift, etc. a lot more. I took typing in high school - on an IBM Selectric. Before that, my Aunt Jean showed me how to type on on her IBM Selectric and I used to do a little work for her in a home business. As an undergraduate, I earned $1 per page typing term papers on my Smith Corona. But I didn't really learn to keyboard until much later, when I had my own computer and started to do a lot of typing: term papers, short stories, then email, etc. And of course there were the days and weeks and months of data entry at work, when I became a numeric keypad pro.

No comments: