Thursday, July 17, 2014

Some of this story is confusing and contradictory. She bought a dog from a breeder, but color was not desirable so it can't be a show dog? How does that differ from the reason some dogs wind up in shelters? She's obsessive about lineage, but this dog has an undesirable trait (so I assume wouldn't be bred)? She adopted Mookie from a shelter, had him for more than a decade -- a good, long time -- when he developed health issues. Somehow that reflects negatively on the temperament and health status of shelter dogs? Yes, she had two dogs who became ill and died too young (although I would be kissing the ground and singing praise if I was given the gift of three more years with my dog who had cancer). But how is any of this a reason to avoid shelter pets? She seems to need to blame someone for her pets' illnesses and deaths, does not seem able to accept that there are painful times in life. There is no guarantee that her re-homed dog will stay issue-free until age 15 and then will slowly decline in an easy to manage, vet-trip free old age. Maybe she should re-evaluate whether she can commit to having a dog. I have adopted several dogs from shelters over the years and all have been wonderful. I currently have two former shelter dogs, both Beagles. I adopted one as a senior. This woman's problem is one of perspective. She's very negative.

No comments: