Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this. Is it alleged that he is receiving communion? Or is this just calling for him to be denied communion? There are a couple reasons I have a hard time understanding the story. I am under the impression that he would have to have his marriage annulled for this even to be an issue that could be raised? Is that not still true? The next reason, in my experience, people who chafe over the rules tend not to attend Mass regularly. I don't know any Catholics who would take communion without going to confession first, even if it's only occasionally, much less go up when they have been divorced. But I've never seen a priest play arbiter during the ceremony. Some people don't go up to communion; they decide, whether following church tradition or for another personal reason.

No comments: