Wednesday, September 04, 2002

I probably will start a private journal that details the teaching experience of this semester, because my guess is that it is best to not have enrolled students stumble here and maybe be offended if I have not been careful enough. The responsibility is enormous! But on occasion I might post something here. So here goes.

The first night went OK, I guess. I was not nervous once I got started - I had 31 students in class (at the moment there are 39 in the online one, but I expect some to drop). I think I am a weird combination of organized and scattered in the classroom. It was interesting to be a part of the "real" world again; to remember that it is hard to accomplish as much in a block of time as in the same time at home; even getting lunch takes forever.

As an evening class, there is some diversity, although I think less than the usual online mix (although there it is hard to determine, and that is one nice aspect of the online environment). There are 2 or 3 graduate students in the class, and one or two undergraduates who are my age or older. Quite a few have attended a community college before transferring to the university. I learned a few things already - all have to do with participation - students do not speak up at all and so this is probably why some professors just randomly call on students. I always thought it was because hardly anyone did the reading, but it may be that people are just reluctant to volunteer, not glib, and inhibited, since the things I asked last night had nothing to do with knowing anything about the course (like, who is planning to be a teacher? A bunch of blank stares in response).

I am used to self-disciplined students in the online world, and this adjustment will take some doing on my part. I learned that some are disrespectful of each other - at the end of class, I had them go around the class and say their name, their major, why they took the class, and if they had a mentor or role model from school or college - and although the students sat attentively through everything I said, during the course of this go around ten students got up (mostly young men, and a couple of young women, but then the females outnumber the males in class by quite a lot), before it was their turn, and left. That's 1/3 of class! It is not like it was even close to being near the end of class. As a result, I took attendance at the end. I dislike being so heavy handed and juvenile, and I know it is a turn off for the majority of serious folks in the class. So, today, I sent an email message to all, summarizing what happened last night, and letting them know that I expect them to be courteous and respectful to their peers. I would so much rather be a facilitator in a group of learners, than a nasty school marm with a ruler. But I will muddle through I suppose.

Not a lot of activity in the online section yet. I will have to start prodding there, soon. I can de-register students who do not "appear" by next week, and for the first time, I think I am going to pursue that option, as it will be especially hard for me to manage such a large group this semester, and that will be worsened if some fall behind.

No comments: