Monday, September 09, 2002

Back to work Monday and I am forcing myself to stay focused because I have a lot of work to do. I'm assuming it will be easier to manage as the semester progresses. I did do a little work over the weekend, not a lot or as much as I hoped. But sunny temperatures lured me out to swim, and since the pool will be closed soon - some people have closed theirs already - how could I resist?

My sister, her poodle Ginger, my mother and I visited St. Ann's cemetery in Sawkill on Sunday. This is where my grandmother's maternal grandparents are buried, as well as her brother and sister who died as babies. My sister is going to Ireland in November, and these GG grandparents (that's genealogical researcher shorthand :-) were immigrants. The setting is a lovely hillside, and the graveyard is not big. Probably 90% or more of the folks resting there were Irish, with a sprinkling of Italian and Polish people. The church is closed, although it is maintained, and special services are occasionally held there.

We were disappointed, though, because we could not find any stones or markers with the name Donnelly. Perhaps that says something even more poignant about Mimmie's relatives. In my mind's eye I see wooden crosses marking their graves, now erased by time and the elements. But Mimmie's notebook documents that they existed. The three of us, in our quest on Sunday, document that they existed. I think I am going to try to find out more information from the diocese.

Aside from having my second class, tommorow is significant because I found out that I can vote in a primary. It will be tight, as my class is held in the evening, and the polls are not open in the morning, but I'll do my best to get there before 9. I have always been "NE" (election shorthand for not enrolled in a political party) because I did not feel that any of the parties reflected my views and I refused to be labeled; the downside of this is that it means no primaries or caucuses. But this year, I have been getting a ton of mail related to the Independence Party. My recycle bin is overflowing! So I called the Board of Elections and asked, and they told me that I was indeed registered in that party.

The only thing I can figure is that in 2000, I voted absentee, and went to the election board to fill out the ballot. Although I can't remember, it is possible that I enrolled at that time. I'm not sure if I will stay enrolled - because I perceive myself as independent, not necessarily the same as the Independence Party - but I sure do plan to use my vote tomorrow.

On a somber note, I am going to visit the 9/11 exhibit at the New York State museum tomorrow morning before heading to campus. So it will be a day of reflection, teaching, and voting. And that reminds me, I am going to replace my flower-themed flag with the American flag right now.

No comments: