Friday, July 26, 2013

The transition period as a pet guardian is not my favorite. It almost goes without saying that the end of life care and eventual mourning are very difficult, but introduction of a new pet into the household has different challenges. Neither Teddy nor Rosie were especially trying. Teddy had to learn stairs and Rosie had (and still has) to be crated for meals, but that was it. Harry is afraid of many things. He seems to have never been exposed to music, television, various other noises, mirrors, stairs, walking on a leash. The stairs part is a significant issue in a three story house!

He wants to sniff Rosie and Teddy as much as possible. This isn't a problem with Rosie -- it took maybe two sniffing episodes and she let him know who was Head Dog. Teddy is a different story; he isn't a skittish cat who runs away, and he also doesn't hiss, swat or bite. He seems to believe he exists on a higher plane: "I'm Theo the Lion and my regal aura should suffice." Today as I am (attempting) to work, all three animals want to be with me, of course. Yesterday I worked in the living room on the laptop, but today I decided to use my desktop in the third floor office. Rosie and Teddy are in the bedroom next to the office. This is how they always spend the day while I am working. Harry has learned how to go upstairs at this point (but not down), so he is up here as well. It's not easy to focus when you have to say "No" and "Stop it" every five seconds! (And waves of "how I miss Sam" intrude.) Fortunately things have settled down at the moment, I just checked and all three are happily sleeping in the bedroom. One step at a time...

No comments: