Thursday, March 17, 2011

This is almost too good a story to be true. I assumed the students involved were juniors and seniors, 20 and 21 years old, but based on his age, it seems as if this kid is a freshman. I appreciate that he turned himself in (although it took the pictures in the paper and I suspect his dad's insistence to achieve that result).

Regardless, taking responsibility, as well as the consequences, are important. Maybe this will be the wake up call the young man needed. I hope so. I sincerely wish that it doesn't turn out that he gets off with no consequences, and learns that dad and a sharp lawyer can make any repercussions magically disappear. I don't want to be cynical, but I take a hard line on cheating for that very reason. Parents can be enablers. They think they are doing the loving thing, when really they are just spawning monsters who lack a moral compass. Maybe that isn't so in this case, but I've learned that the "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" cliche contains a lot more than a grain of truth.

However turning himself in, especially setting an example by being the first to do it - good sign.

Today as I walked to class on campus (outside for a change. What a beautiful day!) I overheard a few students on the podium talking about someone who was pictured coming forward. Maybe it was this specific student, but it could have been another, perhaps less famous? I didn't want to obviously eavesdrop, and I was in a hurry anyway, but I believe they mentioned something about being made an example?

No comments: