Tuesday, October 31, 2017

So I've been doing Blue Apron since late August. Overall, I like it. I don't think it's too expensive or a bad value, the vast majority of the recipes have been delicious, the ingredients are both fresh and unusual, and it saves me from having to go to the supermarket (something I hate) so often.

At first I struggled with all the steps on the recipe card, and with the amount of dishes generated. But after a couple weeks, I figured out how to streamline things and use some of my own methods, instead of theirs. I also have been able to use ingredients for something else, when I suspect the recipe will not work for me.

A few times there have been missing ingredients, but customer service has been great about issuing refunds. I took the opportunity to give feedback, but I don't think they are using my suggestions. As a vegetarian, the recipes tend toward too much reliance on carbs (pasta especially) and do not include ingredients like seitan. Only twice have the recipes been things I consider truly inspired from a vegetarian perspective (both were lentil dishes). I did a little looking on the 'net, and there does not seem to be any vegetarian or vegan service. Or rather, there are, but the recipes sound no different than Blue Apron.

My most significant criticism, and it is quite a serious one: the packaging. They use far too much plastic, and it is mostly, if not entirely, unnecessary. Every little thing is in a film plastic bag. Why? I don't need 10 red pepper flakes in a plastic bag. I don't use the red pepper anyway, but I would feel this way even if I loved it. I don't get it. If I discontinue the service, this is likely to be the reason why.

No comments: