Monday, October 30, 2006

I have been getting a ton of spam from the several related email addresses, with the "reply to" listing the address "info@menendez2006.com." Apparently they are legitimate emails, soliciting support and donations for one the candidates in the New Jersey U.S. Senate race. I have no idea how my email address was collected, or why. I have never visited the candidate's website, I have never signed up to receive election emails from anyone - even in my own State, and before this, Menendez wasn't even on my radar screen.

First, I flagged it as spam. It didn't stop (I assume because the senders were various names @menendez2006.com), so I tried the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the message. That didn't work either. So I responded with the following message:

STOP SENDING ME THESE EMAILS. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU GOT MY ADDRESS BUT I AM TIRED OF THESE MESSAGES. YOUR OPT OUT LINK DOES NOT WORK. I DO NOT EVEN LIVE IN NEW JERSEY, I AM AN INDEPENDENT AND DON'T APPRECIATE YOUR INSANE SUGGESTIONS ABOUT "STOLEN" ELECTIONS (GET A LIFE YOU LOSER), AND I HATE SPAM. DO NOT EMAIL ME AGAIN.

Well, surprise, surprise. That didn't work either. So today I sent this as a response:

This is my second response to the spam you keep sending to me. The online unsubscribe link does not work. I do not send donations to political candidates and believe there are many more worthwhile places for contributions - how about actual charities? Also I am not a New Jersey resident and I couldn't care less about Bob Menendez. I have no idea how you got my email address but after receiving all these messages I fervently hope his opponent wins in a landslide solely because of this unwanted spam. STOP SENDING ME THESE EMAILS.

But I am not holding my breath.

No comments: