Tuesday, February 02, 2010

District 9 was nominated for best picture? Huh? Got to be kidding! I had to do a double-take, thought maybe it was a list of Razzie, instead of Oscar nominees. I don't care if there are 10 nominees this year, no way should that movie be on the best picture list! It was one of the worst movies I have every watched, one of those films where you walk out mad because you were cheated! You wasted money and time, and it results in your not feeling like going to the movies for a while. If I had been home instead of trapped in a movie theatre, I would have turned it off. Bob fell asleep during it, and he loves sci fi.

In one way, it reminded me of Starship Troopers - great concept, wonderful beginning, then after a half hour, it descends into ridiculous. That wasn't so bad in Starship Troopers - I mean, you kind of knew all along where it was going: bug war. In District 9, they completely blow it. It was nothing more than 10 ideas copied from other popular recent movies, blended together into a meaningless extended chase scene. I always envision a bunch of "kids" sitting around a conference table throwing out ideas...hey, wouldn't it be great if we took that scene from the Matrix and combined it with that scene from War of the Worlds and got that guy who was in X to play the hero? "Wow dude that's genius!!!"

I suspect it landed on the list only because of the interesting setting, and the beginning was good, because aside from that, it sucked.

No comments: