Monday, September 25, 2017

More commentary on something that is contentious on Facebook, and I am not joining in. Full disclosure: I can't stand football. I find America's obsession with it like a scene from Idiocracy. The only reason the "athletes" are (far) less sympathitic than in the "sport" I disdain even more (horse racing) is because they choose to play, and they are paid handsomely. I could not care less whether they streak, do cartwheels or set themselves on fire on the field. What gets my attention is when a scum like Vick is still given kudos by his former team and that team's fans, rather than called out for the jerk he is. I also am appalled at people's understanding of the First Amendment. The Bill of Rights is all about limiting government power. "Congress shall make no law..." The First Amendment has absolutely nothing to do with fans boycotting, owners threatening to fire players, or keyboard pundits yelling about it on Facebook. Finally, I am shocked how little attention anyone pays to this issue. The players themselves don't care, and the team owners, beer and car companies, media and fans certainly don't. We may as well still be watching a spectacle dating from Roman times.

No comments: