Wednesday, November 01, 2023

I was at a faculty meeting today. It was both on campus and via Zoom. We had break-out rooms (and teams in the physical room as well). We had two prompts to discuss; one was about what achievements we have and the second was about what opportunities we have. I'm not a big fan of team work or team discussion (even though I use it a lot in my classes). I've always been a loner, and in my student days, faculty allowed me to be independent. I was expecting to be muted and keep video off while eating an apple and a pear. There was no anti-social option today, so I participated, albeit minimally. The reason I am writing this is because a new-ish faculty member from another department recommended re-branding, or rather going back to "SUNY Albany," since no one "out there" has any idea what UAlbany or University at Albany are. It was an observation (almost) everyone in the room embraced, and I wholeheartedly agree with it as well. Alumni call the campus that, the community, media -- and even current students do too. Yet I get my hand slapped if I write it on the department's Facebook page. It seems like a marketing no-brainer.

No comments: