Friday, January 28, 2005

So often I read something in the newspaper that annoys me. After I encountered this article this morning, I did a little surfing. I wanted to know if the paper was misrepresenting the situation. After watching the PBS series on Auschwitz that has been on the past couple of weeks, I had to know if this guy was really saying such things, and if so, why any college would invite him to speak. Not that I am opposed to alternative views, or free speech, or have no sympathy for indigenous peoples, but I was curious just the same.

Well, I think I have read enough. My reactions:

1. This dude has tenure and I am an adjunct? That fact alone says it all. But then he is mineral water, and I am a mud puddle.

2. There is something just a little odd about someone of privilege being so hysterical about injustice.

3. Good to read that he knows the truth, since the rest of us are brain dead (no joke, he actually does assert this, in a different, though equally offensive way).

4. Speaking the truth and all, I wonder if he has ever heard of anti-Semitism? (But of course not, he is in denial. As in Holocaust denial.)

5. He better be sure his smoke detector is in good order, and he probably should sleep with a fire extinguisher for good measure. Because in the event of fire, he wouldn't want to have to depend on a firefighter. I mean, he enlightened me that they were intent solely on protecting capitalism, racism, oppression and other ugly things when they ran up the stairs of the World Trade Center to their deaths.

6. His college alma mater is misspelled on his faculty web page. (It also doesn't exist any more, technically - but that is another whole opera. Probably one he did a lot of bitching about, before comparing 9/11 victims to Nazis became his 15 minutes of fame, and meal ticket.)

7. For a beacon of the truth, he watches an awful lot of TV.

8. If I was at his speech, I would ask, "Does being an American police dog make Sirius automatically guilty too?" Then I would give him the finger.

No comments: