Thursday, January 13, 2005

I thought I would give another meme a try (via Sya).

The Thursday Threesome

The Phantom of the Opera

Onesome: The Phantom--Pick one (or more!): Hey, have you seen it yet? Are you going to go see it? Have you seen it on stage? Read the book? What Phantom?

I haven't seen the movie, I will probably add it to Netflix when it comes out on DVD. I have never read the book. I saw the show on Broadway, in 1994. It was fantastic! It is a funny memory...from my days in math assessment. I traveled on the train to Long Island to make a presentation at a math conference at SUNY Old Westbury. The director of the similar Ohio program was presenting too. It was his birthday, and after the presentation, we ate lunch at a very ritzy restaurant on the way to JFK airport to drop off one of his staff members. I thought he was at least 35 years old - but he told me he was 28, five years younger than I was at that time.

We went to NYC and met Bob and the Ohio guy's wife, and then we went out to dinner at a Spanish restaurant. I then discovered why he looked years older than his age...he did not eat vegetables. Even the verde sauce on his steak was alien! We wrapped the night up at Phantom, and stayed in a nearby hotel - can't remember the name. Plush, but typical Manhattan teeny rooms. Then we took Amtrak to Albany, and Mr. non-vegan & wife returned to Ohio. He was a super nice guy. He left that job several years ago for greener pastures, but that program remains vital and survives (unlike "mine").

Twosome: of the--Of the sights and sounds and smells of Spring what are you waiting for the most? ...and what is the first sign in your area that Spring is on its way?

I'm not really thinking of the upcoming Spring yet, it is only January! True, today was incredibly warm - in the 50s - but tomorrow it is going to plummet, and this weekend it is supposed to be zero at night. There is quite a bit of snow on the ground, even after the warm day. Winter suits me just fine; in fact, I love all of the four seasons, glory in the different aspects of each. That they are fleeting makes them all the better. As far as my favorite sign of Spring in general, I guess it is the lilac bush in my backyard, even though that comes fairly late in the Spring. The first sign that Spring is on the way in this area? I think it is when the forsythia bushes bloom.

Threesome: Opera--Theatre? Stage? Local shows? Do you get a chance to visit any of these venues? Any recommendations on current items?

Not opera, but I often go to see live performances. There are all sorts of wonderful arts events worth checking out. In terms of theatre, I have seen many performances by high school and college students, local Capital District productions, traveling companies, off-Broadway, and a few Broadway shows. Most recently, I saw actors from the Park Playhouse sing show tunes at First Night. I currently have season's tickets for the University at Albany's college theatre; sometimes I go to Capital Repertory, or Proctor's. The last play I saw at UA was Tartuffe, in November; the last play I saw at Capital Rep was Dr. Faustus, last year; the last play at Proctor's was Rent, a couple of years ago.

No comments: