Friday, July 23, 2021

 I am writing today primarily to vent. I'm teaching a six week summer session undergraduate class right now and the contrast between this same class in the spring, when it was outstanding, to this summer, when it is appalling...astounds me. Are they stressed out? Too busy? Just don't care? They do not read assignment guidelines -- and even when I provide an OER book -- they do not read assigned material. They just do not read.

The delta variant, the increase in numbers, the relaxing of restrictions...recently I have encountered two cases of people who are un-vaccinated, out in public, not distancing, not wearing a mask. I am very afraid that the loosening of mandates means that such people are out there in large numbers, spreading the virus. Like my students and reading, they do not care. History is repeating itself.

 

No comments: