Tuesday, June 25, 2002

Back from a long weekend. Tired today. Spent a wonderful day yesterday, not counting the steam-bath level heat, connecting with distant relatives from Florida, New Mexico, New Jersey (& of course New York) in celebration of family history, at an old inn, the Beekman Arms, founded by our ancestors. Class started yesterday, and I am fielding the usual array of panic questions about course requirements. Is is Tuesday already?

Tuesday Too # 18

1.) When was the last time your pet gave you a scare? What happened? If you're not a "pet person", how come?

Not a pet person! Perish the thought!

My need to overprotect the animals leads to many scares, and what has turned out to be uncalled for worry throughout their long lives. But here are three real incidents with my present zoo:

The last one with Edna, my cat, was several weeks ago. I live in a good place for cats, so she does get to go outside sometimes, although I don't let her stay out there at night, or for hours. Several houses down the street there is an abandoned house that provides shelter for some feral cats, and one of them - a shiny, slinky tiger-striped kitty attacked Edna, and punctured her side in three places. Now, Edna is oldish - at least ten, gentle and beautiful. Shortly after I let her inside, I noticed blood droplets on the floor. I tried to inspect her, but her hair is long, and even though she is gentle, she wasn't very cooperative. I washed her the best I could with peroxide, fussed over her all night, and in the morning we made an emergency trip to the vet. A few days later she developed a cat cold from the trauma and antibiotics; she has a great appetite but refused food and hid under the bed. She's a big cat, but in no time she was vanishing before my eyes. I did manage to get her to eat a little ice cream, and eventually I threw away the antibiotics - she recovered like magic. The bald spot is almost completely grown in now, and I'm relieved that she now tends to stay inside the fence.

Sophie, my special needs hound, causes almost continuous scares because of her various conditions, but the worst in memory was last summer, when she was stung by a bee. She is allergic to everything, her face swelled up like marbles, she was panting like crazy - I thought she would die before anything could be done. An emergency phone call to the vet was reassuring, and I gave her a Benedryl - and she was fine.

Rudy, the joy of my life, is shiny and happy and always smiling - the picture of good health and good nature. He is well behaved, and has not caused a scare since he was a young pup. But despite my best efforts, he used to find ways to wiggle out of the fence, or slip out the door - and run, as fast and far as possible. The worst was once when we were visiting my in-laws, who live in a much busier area than either of my houses, and he ran right into traffic. My heart stopped. But in one of those occasions where you just know God is smiling down, and we should all take the time to count our many reasons to be optimistic and thankful for our blessings, a man stopped his car and used it to block traffic - and promptly captured my mischievous canine.

2.) How do you think the things that you think, in other words what do you think consciousness is?

Wow. I don't want to respond, "I have no idea," because that is clueless...but this is a very complex, interesting question. Sometimes I think I am too self-conscious and introspective. Sometimes I think life is easier when it is viewed simply. I have always enjoyed spending solitary time - thinking. Riding a bus, train, or as a passenger in a car, looking out the window at nature zip by, inspires thought. Music can provide the background for reflection, too. Reading sparks me sometimes. Other times, an important incident of some sort happens - and that makes me think, later.


3.) Taking off from last Tuesday's question # 3, check this out: Women's Treaty, and do something about it. If you don't live in the United States, check out the position of your country on the treaty. Thanks to Elaine for her post on the treaty.

OK.

No comments: